In July of 2009, I started to fight back. I learned about high-intensity interval training as a way to have a good well rounded workout. Over the course of a year I developed a few circuits that I used to re-build my body and prepare it for a return to a normal work/life with the hope of eventually returning to martial arts. I celebrated my 40th birthday this morning with the following workout:
Training Circuit (Perform 2 iterations):
- Jumping Jacks 100x
- Jab-cross 30x (left and right)
- Knee strikes 20x (left and right)
- Burpees 20x
- Sit-ups 20x (with 8lb medicine ball behind head)
- Goblet Squats 20x (with 20lb dumbell)
- Jab-cross-Jab-uppercut-Hook 20x (left and right)
- Mid-section round kicks 20x (left and right)
- Mid-section side kicks 10x (left and right)
I perform the above with less than a 10 second break between the exercises. I have a two-minute break between sets.
What I found with this workout is that it releases a massive amount of endorphins. I am high after it for the whole day, and it works better than any pain reliever I have every tried. I stopped using painkillers in '09 for my back pain, which I still have, but this and my martial arts training keep it at bay.